Monday, November 24, 2008

I am grateful

I complain a lot about my apartment, mostly about how small it is:
  • I have no counter space to cook on
  • My coffee table is a dining table and a desk
  • I have no dishwasher
  • I can touch the ceiling without straightening my arm
  • My sink is 6 inches too short (which is why I get drenched every time i do dishes)
...and the list goes on. Today I'd like to take these complaints, crumple them up, and throw them in the garbage because I have so much to be grateful for.

I was watching "The Incredible Hulk" the other day and one of the scenes takes place in Tavares Bastos, in the hillside slums of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

As I saw the conditions these people live in I felt so guilty for my silly complaints. I still can't wait to get a dishwasher, a 2-bedroom apartment, a place to put my dining table etc. BUT I feel more grateful for what I have when I realize how many people in this world are so much worse off.

No comments: