Thursday, January 22, 2009

back on the soap box

So I hate to be such a pessimist right now, with everyone "hope"-ing for "change" and all that jazz, but I just got this email recently that reminded me that things can definitely change with the obama administration...but maybe not for the better.

During his campaign Obama claimed that the first thing he would do when he became the new president is to sign the Freedom of Choice Act, which will "allow all types of abortions including partial birth abortions, also allowing babies who are born alive due to botched up late term abortions, to be set aside without any medical care or nourishment and left to die (most of these babies have no medical problems and most of the ones that do, have things like cleft palates, club feet, things that are correctable, still they are murdered in the most cruel and inhuman way." (taken from my email)

Today, after thousands of abortion oppenents rallied here at the nation's capital, Obama restated his commitment to abortion rights. (read more here)

Go to the fightfoca website for more information and sign their petition to fight the bill.

I also found the following very interesting, taken from a link on the right of the website:
"FOCA creates a new and dangerously radical “right.” It establishes the right to abortion as a “fundamental right,” elevating it to the same status as the right to vote and the right to free speech (which, unlike the abortion license, are specifically mentioned in the U.S. Constitution). Critically, in Roe v. Wade, the Supreme Court did not define abortion as a “fundamental right.”10 And with the exception of one justice’s attempt in 1983 to distort the Court’s abortion jurisprudence by framing the abortion license as a “fundamental right,” the Court has not subsequently defined abortion as a “fundamental right.” Thus, FOCA goes beyond any Supreme Court decision in enshrining unlimited abortion-on-demand into American law."

By the way, If you aren't already against abortion, google "abortion," and select "images" at the top of the screen.

3 comments:

Ashley Hansen said...

You got me! Those images just break my heart... I was scared to look at them but I did anyways. I had to look at my beautiful little girl after to get them out of my head. Congrats on the thousand bucks too!

Candace said...

Oh Obama! I can't believe all of what's going on with Guantanamo Bay too. It makes me shiver to think of all of these criminals being let loose to return to being terrorists.

Stevenson and Marissa's Blog said...

oh thank you! I'm glad there are people like you out there who agree with me. All my friends in portland voted for Obama- yikes. And i've googled those images before...yikes.

-marissa (perona) smith