You all deserve some R-E-S-P-E-C-T if you ask me. Taking care of kids all day is hard work! These last 3 days I had a little taste of what being a mom might be like. I knew it would be hard, but I guess I just had to experience it to really know. It makes me so angry that many people look down upon those who choose to stay home and take care of their kids rather than have a career and make lots of money. I think that anyone who has done both will probably tell you a job is ten times easier (unless your job is daycare or something). So THANKS mom for raising me and putting up with me. Love you! (i actually don't think my mom even reads my blog, she is nearly computer-illiterate).
Just in the past two days I have had to clean up vomit, change multiple pairs of clothing due to diaper disasters, drag a screaming child in and out of pre-school, haul two children and several bags (no need to go to the gym now, right) in and out of the car (in a rainstorm, of course) and up the pre-historic elevator in their 100-year-old building, and attempt to get them to eat something that isn't off of the floor.
Really, i'm not complaining (sounds similar though, right?). I'm just trying to get my point across. Moms really do deserve so much more credit then they get. I know that now. I am really so grateful that I am able to have this experience because I think it will give me a good idea of what I'm getting myself into when I decide to have kids (sometimes I forget that babies are hard work, not just cute fun toys that I get to play with) and it will also help me learn how to be a better mom before I even become one (hopefully!)
I honestly think my job would be much easier if we didn't live in a big city. If this were all taking place back home in Utah, life would be so much easier. First of all: in a house...no elevator or walking down all those stairs to get to the car that is parked who-knows-where on the busy street. Seriously, this is the hardest part of my day. And i especialy complain when its raining. Garages are SUCH a necessity. I will never be ungrateful for garages ever again. Also, driving a couple miles to take Ethan to school is unbelievable. Traffic was horrendous this morning, but luckily his dad usually takes him to school and I just pick him up. Today, however, I took him in the morning and got to experience rush hour traffic. yuck. nothing at all like utah. Speaking of driving...I am not too fond of driving, even in my own car in my own city. Here, I am driving someone else's car in a city i am unfamiliar with in which the streets must have been laid out by a crazy lunatic because I can't drive through town without getting lost or getting stuck on a one-way-street that takes me clear to Virginia (okay, that's an exageration). And whose bright idea was it to make the streets so dang narrow! I have to drive 5 mph just to make sure I'm not going to knock the other car's mirrors off. As quaint as Georgetown may be, the driving situation there is quite unpleasant.
Now that i've sufficiently vented, I'll tell you what I did today.
1. played with babies. talked about babies. Meredith loves babies and only babies.
2. put on pirate hats and listened to pirate music for about an hour
3. cleaned up vomit.
All of you with kids out there, what in the world do you do to entertain a one-year-old?? I'm running out of ideas and its only been two days.
Wednesday, January 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)













8 comments:
little 1 year old girls- well...every kid is different. My neice likes-
jewellery (a lot)
purses
grass
rolling a ball back and forth...for hours
hide and go seek
making food together
digital camera pictures
cell phones (requires close supervision to prevent awkward calls...)
calling grandma's and grandpas
coloring-very very poorly
playdoh
Good luck. sounds like fun!
holy moly, Em - you are ONE brave woman! Sofie just turned one (Cynthia's baby girl), and she LOVES Baby Einstein and LOVES noisy toys that play music. I usually dance with her alot, talk to her a lot and we sing and dance over and over again. She also loves those building block things - she's especially into building up a huge tower then crashing it down. Uhh, that's all I can think of right now. Good luck! You'll be a great mum, fo sho!
Where do you live?! I forgot you were maybe coming out here. Let's get together soon!
Sounds like a typical day in my life. Ha ha. Carter is usually pretty good. As long as he has a ball. But I have been feeling a little stir crazy now that the holidays are over and there is not much to do in the winter. I have been trying to find activities to keep both Carter and I busy. He loves watching signing time in his high chair. And then I can get stuff done without him destroying the house. Have fun and good luck. You will survive.
oh emily i miss you and agree with you 100% oh man yeah moms amaze me every day really I don't know how they do it! but I get to read a lot of parenting magazines that are always laying around the office--they have some good stuff in there I would have never thought of...my favorite websites that are associated with the magazines are familyfun.com and i think Wondertime has a website too. . .but really valerie is the one to ask she not only took care of abby all summer, but she takes care of those 2 autistic kids and their bossy sister :) good luck hun
Emily
you are so brave!! I nannyed for a summer once and after that never ever wanted kids....But I will tell you that it is 100% better to have your own, than to watch someone elses!! my little girlie (almost 1, can you believe it!?) loves babies, bubbles, bathes, peek a boo, jewlery, music and books, oh and those stacking ring things!! She loves to go for walks also.
good luck.
carly~
EMILY!!! That is a shout out to you and how amazing you are!! I feel like i kinda know what you are going through but not a lot. . . what helped me get through the summer is not treat it like a job treat it as having fun with a kid. The mall was a fun place to go it wasn't crowed and she got her energy out pushing her baby in the stroller nap time was a breeze. As for my other three I used to act like the "mother" but that just made things hard so I started acting like a friend and playing with the kids more, yes I have to discipline them, clean up vomit and pooh that has been smooshed into the carpet cause lex thinks she's funny but still. . . .If you have any questions probably ask a mom haha but if you ever wanna talk i got your back
Post a Comment