Now, on to the reason that I now see a "perinatal specialist." At last week's appointment, my sonogram showed that I have more amniotic fluid than normal. Big deal! is what I thought, but my doctor suggested that I be re-tested for diabetes (i passed), which can cause excess fluid, and that I see a specialist to make sure that nothing was wrong with the baby. Why could too much fluid cause a problem? Extra room to float around in, right? Well, Russ and I, like any curious people would do, got online to find out what this extra fluid could possibly mean. And if any of you have ever tried to diagnose yourself by reading a bunch of stuff online, you know that we scared ourselves silly into thinking that our baby had one of a billion different problems and we were sick with worry for the week before seeing the specialist.
Today I saw the specialist who basically did a really really long and detailed ultrasound/sonogram to check and measure everything. The good news is that she did not find anything physically wrong with the baby that would cause me to have excess amniotic fluid. She did find, however, that baby's arms and legs are a wee bit on the short side, which, among other things, can be a sign of down's syndrome. She believes that since everything else is normal that my baby may just be a little on the short side and that I am just among the %50 of women with extra amniotic fluid whose excess fluid cannot be explained. SO, although I am relieved that baby is OK, I now wonder What if I do have a baby with down's syndrome? I don't think any parent wishes their child to be anything but perfect. But I have found comfort knowing that, should this be the case, I will be greatly blessed by having such a spirit in my life and by the knowledge of the Gospel and its wonderful truths.
This worrying and waiting and wondering is definitely stressful but has also helped me to remember to be grateful for all that I have and that trials can often be blessings in disguise. It seems so silly to me now that I once worried about my baby having hair or not!!
Also, last week's sono showed that baby was breech. This week her head was down, so that is more good news! She sure does move around a lot! I think she will be a good swimmer.
Seeing 4-D images of the baby was amazing! At one point she stuck her tongue out and tried to lick her hand. Can't wait to see her in person!














5 comments:
I had terrible nightmares with each of my pregnancies. In my dreams, usually the baby was about the size of a rat, and I always forgot to take care of it! Your worries and fears are definitely understandable, but since there is nothing you can do at this time to change what will be, I hope you will be able to relax and enjoy your remaining pregnancy. When the time comes, you will have the strength and ability to be a great mom to your baby, no matter what issues she comes with. You are in our prayers! Love you, Mindy
worry, worry, worry...that's what mom's are good at. Looks like you're a wonderful mother already! I think if your baby has Downs Syndrome that you will have such sweet blessings. I think that if your baby doesn't have Down Syndrome that you will have such sweet blessings, also! Being a mother is such a special thing and really helps us know how Heavenly Father feels for us as we feel the same way for our children. Good luck on your new adventures!
Em...It really is crazy how much life is going to change and perspectives on life as soon as that little angel enters your lives! I will be thinking about you and you are in my my prayers! When we found out about all of Scarly's health problems I thought my life was over (I was a mess...all that unknowing is toucher!)....then after seeing the specialist and learning all I needed to know I was/am fine....It is still scary and heartbreaking to see your child go through hard things, and you wish you could do it all for them....but it is all part of the plan! Everything will turn out fine! I can't wait to hear all about your birth story and fun adventures with a new little one! SO Fun, and the hardest thing you'll ever do! Good luck...your are getting close!!
I know you can handle anything that comes your way. Those sweet spirits strengthen the whole family and reminds them everyday of what this life is about. BUT I truly think your baby is fine....otherwise I think they would have ordered a few more tests. I definitely agree you sound like a great mom already!
She looks absolutely gorgeous in that photo. Love you so much and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers as delivery date draws closer! I know that everything will be exactly as it is supposed to be, even if it's not exactly what you expected. And most of the time, the unexpected is better and more perfect than we can imagine.
Post a Comment