I found this recipe online a few weeks ago because I was searching for ways to use the 2 quarts of honey my dad gave me at Christmas. I have been trying to limit my intake of refined, white sugar and I have also been trying to bake healthier snacks, because I love to bake and I love to eat half of what I bake right after I bake it. These are perfect because, though they aren't particularly low in calories, they do have fewer calories than normal cookies and they don't have any butter or oil, they have only whole grains, natural sweetener, FRUIT!, and I guess if you wanted to get a little crazy you could replace the egg with egg whites, but I am not scared of a little itty bitty egg yolk.
Here's the Recipe (with my changes):
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2-4 tsp cinnamon
1 egg
1 Tbsp water
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup applesauce
1 Tbsp molasses or brown sugar (i used brown sugar since I didn't have molasses)
1 tsp vanilla
Mix dry ingredients and wet ingredients in two separate bowls, then combine. Add your chocolate chips, raisins, nuts, or whatever. I use semi-sweet chocolate chips, which are MUCH better than milk chocolate, in my opinion. Forget the measuring cup, just dump in as much as you want. The dough will be really wet and sticky, so I usually throw in another Tbsp of flour at this point, but I am pretty sure it would be fine without it. Chill in the fridge for about 20-30 mins. Heat oven to 335 degrees. Scoop cookies onto parchment paper (you really really really should use parchment paper, the cookies don't stick and you don't have to wash the pan!) I smash the cookies down with the greased bottom of a cup because they don't spread on their own. Bake for about 7-10 minutes. (the original recipe says to bake for 15-20 mins, but i never bake more than 10). I got about 2 dozen cookies from this recipe and depending what you add to them they are about 100 calories each.

The first time Russ tried a cookie he took a bite and slowly put it back. I think he was expecting it to taste like a normal cookie, which it doesn't. For some reason I couldn't stop eating them (especially hot right out of the oven!!). Russ gave them a second chance and now likes them, don't worry.













2 comments:
They look yummy I am going to try them! Anything healthier and still yummy!
YUM! Trev gave me an oatmeal cookie recipe from a lady at his work. It's probably a basic cookie recipe with loads of sugar but I'll let you know if it is good. :)
Post a Comment