Wednesday, September 21, 2011

priorities

I've been thinking a lot about priorities lately.

I'm the kind of person who doesn't like to sit still - I like to constantly be doing something "productive."  My definition of productive is probably very different from y'alls, but it makes me feel good to be doing things. 

Lately I have been keeping myself busy with the wrong things, however.  Not bad things...just not the most important things. 

I decided to reevaluate my priorities in life, and here they are, short and simple (not necessarily in any order):

1.  My health
2.  My spirituality
3.  My relationships

Therefore,
- keeping my house 100% spotless all the time is NOT a priority (although keeping it from being disgusting is definitely important to my health and well-being)
- pinning everything I see on Pinterest is NOT a priority
- trying to make my house and myself beautiful so that other people will like me (anyone else ever guilty of this twisted way of thinking??) is NOT a priority

What am I going to do?
Well...

1.  I got a gym membership at the local YMCA because they offer discounted memberships if you are poverty-stricken, like us, and they have free child care.  I also started a new diet called the "Clean Eating" diet, which basically means I won't be eating refined sugars or processed foods.  Just whole grains, natural sugars (honey, maple syrup etc), and foods that have been processed as little as possible.  It has gone pretty well so far, I am trying to just ease into it, so I still allow myself 1 diet coke per week and a piece of candy or a cookie every now and then to stay sane.  I also allow myself a "bad" every Saturday night, or whenever its convenient to eat something naughty, like perhaps a big greasy burger from the In-N-Out that we now live conveniently close to.  I TOLD you we live in the best location in Dallas!

2.  I haven't really decided yet what to do about being more spiritually in tune.  Church is difficult because, now that I have Anna, paying attention to anything but her is quite difficult, especially when she is cranky because she has to learn about the NT instead of take a nap.  So I don't feel like I am getting a good spiritual experience at church, do any of you mommy's have any tips or suggestions for me?  I need to make some other goals to get to where I would like to be.

3.  I really just want to spend time with my awesome hubsy wubsy but since he is constantly working or going to school, it is quite impossible.  And then there's the little baby bean to worry about.  Luckily we found another couple with a kid that we can swap babysitting with every couple of weeks so we can get a night out together.  And I sure do miss my family but I"m glad that we have such good friends here - if you are reading this, you know who you are!!  I am glad that we just moved in to a ward that has about 500 other couples who are in the same boat as us -- husband in law/medical/dental school and wife has a kid or two.  It will be so much fun to get to know them all.  I really don't know what I would do without friends.  It has been a hard year away from family.  I wish my family were around to watch little Anna grow up, but hopefully some day.......

These are my thoughts today.

3 comments:

Karen said...

As a mom it is a little harder to listen during church. However, you will have your phases. Anna will get older and it will be easier to listen, but then you'll have another and it will get harder again. So, just keep hanging in there. And, as a friend says, "you're more likely to get something out of church if you're at church!!"

I think something that might help is keeping a journal of the spiritual experiences and feelings that you have. So, though you might not be able to do all of the long study you were able to before, you can still get some reassurance that you are still enjoying spiritual experiences.

My two cents!

Unknown said...

Thanks Karen, you're the best!!

Katie said...

I have been thinking about a lot of those same things recently. We must be on the same wave length. I know how hard it is at church, sometimes I get home and wonder why I even went. But I know how important it is to be there. I'm in primary right now so I try to go over the Relief Society lesson by myself over the week just so I can try to keep up and learn something.

I've been trying to do the real food thing too. Have you used the blog http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/ I love most of her stuff and she has great recipes. I don't really use it as a diet because Reed would never give up his burger, fries, coke, pizza etc. but I do make almost all of our food from scratch now including all breads. Getting a bread machine has been wonderful, I don't think I've bought a bread, pizza crust, roll, hot dog bun or anything like that in over a year. I also love some of the recipes on here: http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/ . Her granola bar recipe is our favorite snack.

You'll have to let me know some of the good recipes you find. I'm excited to see your new house, that will be so nice to have some more room!