
Right after we were married, Russ and I applied for a government grant for tuition because everyone said that once you get married they (the gov't) will give you so much more (full tuition plus some) than when you are single. Well, between the two of us we only got $900, and i'm not complaining AT ALL because i definitely don't think it's the gov't's responsibility to pay me to go to college. But, i did appreciate the much-needed money.
My friend, on the other hand, is single and doesn't have a job during the school year, not because he is too busy with school, but because if he doesn't work then he doesn't make money which means the gov't sees him as "poor" and will give him more money. He received (from the gov't) more than triple the amount we got and he's single and only one person. He pays tuition and then, every semester year, uses the rest of this grant money to buy fun toys such as big-screen TV's and expensive video game systems.
Of course my friend is knowingly abusing the system, and that's his fault. But the fact that he is able to do that proves that the government isn't that great at spending our tax dollars. Because I work hard all year long, my records show that I made money and therefore, the gov't doesn't give me as much grant money (which i would use to pay for school tuition) as my friend who chooses not to work so that it looks like he is poor. This doesn't make me eager to let the government spend my hard-earned money (which they probably don't right now because I don't make enough).
Anyways, sorry about the rant. I can't help myself. Just one of the many reasons that i think the gov't should BACK OFF.













No comments:
Post a Comment