Saturday, March 14, 2009

a really deep thought about apples and ethiopians

Russ had to take a practice LSAT this morning (boring!) and I couldn't bug him, so I hopped on a bus and just rode it as far as I could. Then I got out and walked around, ran into a TJMaxx, perused the sale racks, got back on the bus and rode it to Whole Foods (gourmet/healthy/natural/organic?) grocery store where I bought an array of fresh fruits that I have been craving. That store is pretty much yumazing. I just barely made up that word as I was typing it. Anyways, If I wasn't already a food snob, I can definitely feel myself becoming one. BUT - it wasn't until recently that I discovered that there are more than four kinds of apples. Until now I always thought that there were four kinds: red, reddish-yellow, yellow, and green. But would you ever guess that there are actually more than 15 different kinds?? I am in the process of discovered which kind is my favorite...so far its fuji but i've got about 10 left to try. What is YOUR favorite apple??




After my grocery adventure Russ and I set out to see some more of the American History Museum (my third time). We saw the actual Star Spangled Banner and some other stuff not worth writing about. We then made our way to the very top of the Old Post Office building to get a good view of the city and we discovered that lots of buildings have grass and trees growing on top of them! It was rainy and cold so we didn't last long up there.





We were also hungry so we decided to be adventurous and try this Ethiopian restaurant a few blocks from where we live. What? Ethiopians eat food? I was expecting a plate full of bugs or leaves or something, but I was pleasantly surprised to discover that they eat chicken and beef. Russ and I were distressed when we couldn't find our silverware so Russ asked our waitress to get us some. "Its finger food" she says....okay, sure let me just grab my bib and go at it. At least she served us a nice plate of wet wipes when we were finished. It was pretty tasty (but pricey) and my fingers are still stained orange.

7 comments:

Marissa Waddell said...

i like pink lady and honey crisp. i'm an apple snob. i really only eat those two kinds and fuji. i can't handle mushy apples, they make me want to barf.

Katie said...

How fun! You guys live in such a cool city. I love love love Braeburn....they're really crisp and "yumazing" (haha, love it) with peanut butter if you're into that sort of thing! I like pink lady ones too....but maybe just because of the fun name!

Jeff said...

I love that Russ refuses to ever look normal in a picture. As for apples, you can never go wrong with honeycrisp!

Stevenson and Marissa's Blog said...

Honey Crisp and braeburn? are my fav. Honey Crisp on sale are a must! I never was a snob, but my inlaws have a lot of apple trees and now I am.

-Marissa Smith

Anonymous said...

Pink ladies are an amazing kind of apple. Try them! You won't regret it.

Andrew & Carlene Wood said...

I worked at a fruit stand for a summer...honey crisp, pink lady, gala and fuji are yummers...by the way, I took my photo class from our photographer, her link is on my blog

Rosie said...

That's so funny that you wrote about apples, because I went through an apple phase my third year of college and tried like ten different kinds of apples and discovered that my favorite apples are Jonagolds. Fuji is my second favorite.