Monday, April 25, 2011

Anna's Birth Story

Here is the story of how our sweet little Anna came into the world -

It started on a Monday. I was 39 weeks and dilated to a 1. After doing an ultrasound, my dr. was afraid that Anna had pooped in utero. Because of this, and due to my extra amniotic fluid, the dr. wanted me to deliver her asap. It wasn't an emergency, but she wanted it to happen in the next couple of days. She recommended that I start out with cervical softening since I was only dilated to a one. I was supposed to go in to the hospital that night, so our bags were packed and we were ready to go, but when I called the hospital they didn't have any room for me :( I was disappointed but a little relieved to have one more day to prepare.

Tuesday night I arrived at the hospital with Russ and my mom. After a few hours of monitoring baby's heart rate and my contractions, the nurse gave me Cervadil (cervical softener) and then I couldn't move or eat for 2 hours. Russ took my mom home and brought me back some food so that I could hurry and eat before midnight - after midnight I could have nothing but ice chips. As the night progressed, I began having painful contractions. The nurse offered me an Ambien to help me sleep through the night (I had to wait 8 hours for the Cervadil to be removed and then I would be induced). I took the Ambien, which did NOT help me sleep, rather it contributed to my overall loopiness and forgetfulness throughout the next day. After a few hours of pain I asked for an IV and some pain meds, which I'm sure contributed to the loopiness even more. The nurses thought I was hilarious. I don't remember what I said, I just remember that I didn't make a whole lot of sense. Living on only ice chips was torture. I was SOOOOOOOOOOO thirsty! The nurse said she's never had someone ask for ice chips more often than I did.

Wednesday morning after the cervical softening was complete, I received pitocin to help induce labor. Around 8:30AM the anestesiologist came in to give me the epidural and it was AMAZING. I loved the epidural more than anything. I didn't feel much pain from then on, which was good because it was a loooong day! My dr. checked me throughout the day and I don't remember much because I think I slept all day long. At one point the dr. broke my water and apparently several towels were needed to soak it all up. Yuck. At about 8:30PM my dr. came into check me one last time. I was dilated to a nine (and had been for hours) and was no longer progressing. She told me that I'd have to have a C-section and wheeled me into the OR. I got more epidural and then they started cutting into me, which was one of the strangest sensations I have ever felt. It took a lot longer than I thought it would, about half an hour, but I'm glad they took their time and did it right! Baby Anna was yanked from my belly at 9:28 PM and I barely got to see her for a second before they took her away. Russ got to hold her but apparently she stopped breathing and started turning blue, so they took her away again. After she was back to normal Russ brought her to me and held her while I was sewn up. I then spent an hour in recovery before I was taken to my room. It seemed like forever before I got to see Anna but they finally brought her in. The nurse said that she was having "dusky spells" or short periods where she would stop breathing, and she also had a heart murmur, so they had to monitor her closely. The next morning her pediatrician came to see her and told me that the heart murmur was gone, as were the dusky spells, and that little Anna was doing great! I couldn't move my legs yet so I had to lay in bed all day. I had to stay in the hospital until Saturday, so it was a total of 5 days that I had been there. This is NOT what I had expected or planned for. I did NOT want to have a C-section and I did NOT want to be induced. The entire experience was less than desirable and I hope that next time around things will go a little bit differently. Fortunately, all I care about is that Anna is here safe and sound and I am recovering very well! The first week after I came home was pretty miserable and I was in a lot of pain, but I am feeling almost back to normal now. Luckily my mom was here with me and pretty much did everything for me that I didn't have to do for myself. She cooked, cleaned, brought me food as I was nursing, bought me groceries, did my laundry etc. I am blessed to have a mom that is so generous.

We love baby Anna so much and I love to kiss her tiny cheeks and touch her little toes! She makes the cutest sounds and faces and I love spending time cuddling and holding her. It has been a hard few weeks but it has been equally incredible. I still can't believe that I'm a mom. It is a good thing I have a wonderful husband and friends and family to help!

Now, if you are a mom (or even if you're not) and you have made it far enough to read this, what are/were some of your favorite items/books that helped you with your newborn? I'd love any suggestions or advice!

aaaaaannd...here are some pictures:

10 comments:

Loni and Tyler said...

so so so cute Emily!!! And you look great! How did you do it? I wish I had some suggestions... but when it comes my turn I will for sure be asking you:)

Karen said...

Emily, I'm so sorry you had a c-section. I had a c-section after hours of labor and an hour of pushing with our first. UGH! Reading your story reminds me what a hard experience it is. I didn't hold Ethan for almost 2 hours after he was born. Oh, and the pain and not being able to get around very well. I have felt that pain. I also understand what you're saying about the first few weeks being so hard and wonderful at the same time. I'm glad you had your mom to help.

Our second was a VBAC. I am so grateful for that experience. It is what was right for me. Doing a VBAC isn't right for every mom. I hear scheduled c-sections are so much better than the scenarios we endured. You'll know what to do when that time comes, but really you don't even need to worry about it right now, because you have such a beautiful, sweet new baby to enjoy.

I like, "What to expect the first year". It goes through each month and also a lot more information than just your child's development. Also, just hold her, hold her, hold her. Having your first baby home is such a different experience than bringing a baby home with older siblings. The first is so special. She made you a mother and helps you in your journey as you find the kind of mom you are. You will love all of your children, I'm sure, there's just a special bond between a mother and her first (especially while it is just her and the baby). I've made a novel!

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Keep getting better.

Jessica and Reece said...

First, let me say, for the gazillioth time, how gorgeous that little girl is and how gorgeous you look right after delivery. I looked like a bloated whale.

Secondly, I TOTALLY hear you on the ice chip thing! Pure torture! I have never wanted a giant gulp of water more in my entire life.

I'm so glad baby girl made it safely and I'm so glad you are feeling better. Hopefully we'll be able to chat soon! Love you guys!

PS- I also really like "What to expect in the first year." It has proved to be a lifesaver time and again and still rests on my nightstand, even though the first year is over.

Cherie said...

Emily,

So sorry to hear that things didn't go as planned, but at least you are both doing well now. You're going to be such a fun mom! ;) That little girl is lucky!

JenBerger said...

Sorry you had to have a c-section! They are not fun! It's almost like you have to plan for anything cause you never know what will happen! Baylee was the easiest delivery ever then Owen was an emergency c section! Then things just got crazy from there :)
Anna is just so adorable! Really she is such a pretty baby!

JenBerger said...

oh also moms are the BEST after babies! I don't know what I would have done without my mom! I'm glad your mom was there to help you!

The Averys said...

Wow, Emily! I'm glad that you and little Miss Anna are doing great (since she was born in TX, which is kinda part of the South, she is Miss Anna). You look amazing and I hope that everything continues to go great for you and your lil fam! :)

Samantha said...

Sorry you had to have a c-section…. I don't have any experience with them except I know from others that they are difficult not only physically but emotionally too. There is a nationwide group called iCAN that is fantastic for support after c-sections. I have a couple of close friends who also chose to try for a natural birth-VBAC with their 2nd babies and were successful. BUT as someone else mentioned-you don't need to worry about that just yet. ;)

My best advice for you is don't worry about "spoiling" your beautiful baby with too much attention. Give her all the snuggling/holding/loving that she wants because several months from now when she learns to run she won't want it anymore. Enjoy every stage she goes through-even the terrible ones because they don't last forever.

Best of Luck! :)

threeboysandalady@blogspot.com said...

She is bigger already! SO cute, I wish I could hold her :( I am glad you are doing so well.
I had c-sections for both and now that I am past the PAIN I actually am really happy it worked out that way. I love that you loved the epidural too because I AM so an advocate for it. I think it's great for those women who can do it without but I wuss and those drugs are AMAZING!

Anonymous said...

sorry it took me forever to read this post - i was missing out! you had it rough, my dear, but i'm glad that you have such an awesome family and husband to support you. Anna is so beautiful and super cute - her tiny cheeks are kissable :)

i wish i would have taken it easier after I had addie. I think it would have been nice to spend more time recovering. cynthia and my mom came to help, but i was more worried about being a good hostess than letting them help me!

also, i am so glad that i talked and sung to addie all the time. i read somewhere (probably the "what to expect" book jessica mentioned) that it helps with literacy. anyways, i felt like an idiot talking to addie 'cause she was alone and i didn't know how to have a conversation with a newborn, but it was worth it because now she talks back and we have hour long conversations in gibberish and i love it :)

i love you, Em, and I love your little family!

xoxoxo